Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Columbus EPS Shoot Day 2

After a day of shooting nature, it was time to turn to the concrete jungle of downtown.  Recently, I've taken an interest in abandoned, graffitied and forgotten structures - urban decay.  I figured that I might be able to find a few interesting locations in downtown Columbus.

I got a later start than the previous day and the weather wasn't as optimal.  I started at the edge of the Arena District, behind Huntington Park.  There are a few old buildings by the Buggyworks complex.  The buildings are very interesting, with some graffiti, peeling paint, rusted doors, etc.  I enjoyed photographing them and then I moved on.  I headed down towards the Short North.  For those of you who don't know, the Short North is one of the most vibrant areas of Columbus.  It's a huge arts district that's home to numerous art galleries, wall art, street performers, boutiques, antique shops and fabulous restaurants.  I wandered around for awhile taking a number of shots.  I then walked back the way I came, to insure that I didn't miss anything the first time.

I didn't shoot as long as I did the day before and I was a little preoccupied with switching back and forth between my Canon AE-1P film camera and my Canon EOS 50D SLR camera.  This was the first time I used my film camera, so I was essentially learning how to use it while I shot.  I didn't get as many shots as I wanted and I was hoping for a bit more "decay."  However, I was in the thriving part of downtown, so I guess I should have expected less.  I need to do a bit more research and look into truly decaying areas and decaying "off-limit" buildings to find the right subject for the type of urban decay shots that interest me. 

With that being said, I still enjoyed the solitude of shooting by myself as well as the weekend trip overall.  I got some good images, I am getting used to my new digital and I got to experiment with film.  So, it was a good trip overall and I look forward to improving my photography skills and shooting more material on my next visit to Columbus.

No comments:

Post a Comment